Sunday 26 January 2014

Week 4 (20 Jan - 26 Jan) - Recovery week

Swim: 3:55 (8.600m)

Bike: 2:30

Run: 2:37

Strength & Core: 0:00

Total: 9:02

TSS (bike/run): 362


Monday

The recovery week started out with a full day of recovery which I for sure needed.

Tuesday

Tuesday my legs felt a bit heavy throughout the day. I joined a club swim in the evening  and got in around 2.500m. 

Wednesday

Wednesday morning called for a tempo run:
- 15 min warm-up
- 15 min tempo (HR zone 3)
- 5 min jog
- 15 min tempo (HR zone 3)
- 15 min cool down

In total 14 km in 1:05. Unfortunately my watch deleted the data, but I remember being a bit disappointed about the pace during the two 15 min efforts.  I should be able to keep a pace a bit faster than  4:10min/km in HR zone 3, but it was more around 4:17 min/km as I recall.


Thursday

Thursday I had an evening swim after work. I was not to motivated, but got through the planned 3.200m nicely.

Friday

On Friday I had 45min recovery ride planned and I decided to do them after work. In the morning it always seems like a good idea, but in the evening it sucks. It definitively works best for me to get as many workouts in in the morning as possible. It does however also require that you do not get to bed to late.

Saturday

On Saturday I had the "usual" endurance run of 1:30. I am suppose to run the endurance runs in zone 2, which means a heart rate of 146-156 BPM for me. This is slightly higher than when I have been training for marathons in the past where I usually had an average heart rate around 140 +/- 3 on the long runs. Now I am instead aiming for an average HR around 150 +/- 3 and so far I have been quite surprised of the pace I am able to keep without the workout feels hard. On Saturday it was obvious that my body was not as fatigued as in previous weeks and I was able to time the breakfast before the workout which gave me optimal conditions and I was able to keep an average pace of 4:32min/km with an average HR of 146 BPM over 20.2 km.

Running fuel



I also believe that the many interval sessions I have been doing the last couple of months have had a significant effect. However, as mentioned above I have not seen similar improvements when doing runs in zone 3 (157-163 BPM). Maybe it is because I am doing most of these 6AM in the morning on an empty stomach - maybe it just need some more time.

In the afternoon Søren stopped by on his way to Mexico. We toured the city and had a nice dinner before he took off. 12 hours is probably in the low ends when it comes to visiting Tokyo, but it was great seeing him again.



Sunday

Sunday I had a 1:45 bike session in zone 2 with 6x5min efforts in zone 3 included planned. As I also had swim session with the triathlon club planned at 10AM, I decided to get up early and to the bike workout on the home trainer. I got off the bike at 8:15, had a shower and a smoothie and was off to the pool in Odaiba.

The swim with the club went well and consisted of:
- 150m warm up
- 250m kick
- 200m 10 kick one stroke - 10 sec rest
- 200m one arm crawl: 25m L/ 25m R - 10 sec rest
- 50 easy 4x 100m pull - buoy between feet - 10 sec rest
- 7x 100m (3/4/5/6) pull 2:00 (1:45 - 15 sec rest)
- 2x5x50 1:00 (1st set decreasing stroke count, 2nd set decreasing times)
- 9x50 - 1:05 (0:50/15 sec rest)

I feel I am able to consistently do the 50m on 0:50 with 10 sec rest which I am quite happy about.

It was also good to see coach Kuwabara-san again - it has been some time since I have particiapted in sessions headed up by him. As always we was ready with some good advice in case someone needed it.

All in all it was a nice recovery week. Next week will start out with 12 hours af fasting before the yearly mandatory health check. On next friday I will go to  Europe, so I think coach PJ has planned to  squeeze in some tough bike sessions prior to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment