Sunday 12 January 2014

Week 2 (6 Jan - 12 Jan)

Swim: 2:30 (5.300m)

Bike: 5:16

Run: 2:28

Strength & Core: 0:30

Total: 10:44

TSS (bike/run): 478


Monday

This was the first day after the long vacation. I started out with a morning interval session of:
10min warm up, 8x 20sec strides with 40sec recovery followed by 8x 1min hard efforts with 2min walk / jog recovery before ending with 10min cool down. The work out went well and it was nice with some longer recovery periods in between the efforts. I managed to keep a good pace during the efforts averaging 3:15 min/km. My left calf tighten up a bit during the cool down, so that is something I will need to keep an eye on.

In the evening i joined Aoyama Triathlon Club for swimming where we did a lot of horrible kick drills (I hate those!) before ending with 20x 50m (0:50 / 50m with - 10 seconds rest). In total we did 2.300m.

Tuesday

Only a short swim was planned for Tuesday. Probably because coach PJ wanted me to be fresh to the CP30 bike test on Wednesday. In general I was looking forward to get my FTP/training zones updated (since I haven't done a test since August or so last year), but definitely not looking forward to the test it self. 30min all-out is a mess.

When I woke up my calf was still hurting from the intervals yesterday and it felt like it made me limp a bit. Not good :( When I returned home after a long day at work I felt tired and probably a bit sorry for myself and the fact that I had that damn test the next day made my skip the swim session.

I texted coach and asked for advice on whether to go ahead and do the test when my calf was causing trouble and as long as I did not feel pain on the bike he told me to go ahead.

Wednesday

I got up around 5:40 and was ready on the trainer at 6:00. The calf still hurt when walking, but there was no issues on the bike, so I got my sh*t together and did the damn test. And it was tough. I have never tried to do a 30min all-out effort on the bike before (have previously used 95% of a 20min all-out effort as FTP estimation). However, afterwards it is nice to have an updated baseline and I am actually looking forward to the next test now since I want to improve and I am confident that I can do so.

Coach PJ has asked me to record some data prior to the CP30 test and I will include it here as well:
Weight: 75,2 kg
Resting HR (5 minutes on couch prior to workout): 42.
Average HR during 30min effort: 166
Average power (CP30): 208 watt.

Thursday


On Thursday I did a 30 min (including 10@zone2) easy early morning ride on the turbo. After reading a discussion around foam rolling on slowtwitch (you can see the discussion HERE) I decided to give it a go, as I have recently got one of the fancy things, to see if it could help the calf recover faster. So I did 10 minutes of foam rolling after the bike. Later that day I could feel my legs were still a bit tired from the test on Wednesday, but the foam rolling seemed to have helped since I could no longer feel the calf issues when walking.

In the evening I had dinner with some colleagues from Denmark, which also meant I had to do my strength and core exercises after a few beers. Not optimal, but it worked out ok. I ended the night with more foam rolling.

This thing rocks!

Friday

On Friday I had the second nasty test of the week. A 1.900m swim time trial. I had never before swum that far in one go, I had to do it Friday evening after work in a crowded pool where you can not overtake others. And I was supposed to do it fast. Honestly, I did not really believe this to turn out very successfully. But it actually did.

I managed to leave work around 16:30 and got to the pool before it was too crowded. Did 500m warm-up which initially just confirmed that the 1.900m was going to be a long swim. After some drills I went for it; I decided to start out easy as survival was priority number one. In the back of my mind I had an idea of a target of sub38 (average speed up 2:00/100m), so I tried to keep an eye on the pool clock after each 100m (you are not allowed to wear a watch in the pool here).

And I was happy to see that I was able to keep the pace around 1:55-1:57/100m. After 5-600 meter I settled into a nice rhythm and it felt like I could go on for some time. I did the first 1.300m on 25:00 and decided to see if I could increase the speed a bit. The overall time for the 1.900m was 36:10 which I am very happy about. I only got cued up for around 5 sec during the swim and I probably speeded up after that, so no issues here.

It went a lot better than expected and just like with the bike test I feel that I now have a good baseline to work from and I am confident that I will be able to improve in the next test (hopefully as a consequence of improved form and fitness, but most likely also just for having done the test before).

After swimming I squeezed in a bit of foam rolling on the left calf :)

Saturday

On Saturday I had one of my favorite workouts planned: the long run. However, due to the calf issues I had this week I was a bit unsure of how it would go... After app. 4 km I could feel the calf nagging a bit, but decided to continue and hope that I would not make things worse, but still recover as long as I did not push the pace and did my foam rolling afterwards. I managed to get through the run without major issues and I could see from the pace and my HR data that all the intervals coach has been throwing at me have paid off. It us great to see progress already and I cant wait to see how my running form will further develop throughout the year.

Sunday

I had one main goal for this Sundays long ride: I wanted to avoid bonking. The last two weeks I have gone out after having only a banana for breakfast and only brought water. And that mistake have made the last rides extremely tough in the end although they have only been around 2:30 hours.

So this time I managed to get in some energy in terms of some homemade paleo bread with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast. Also, I brought with me three of my homemade energy bars! :) And I tell you - they rock! Made them yesterday from a recipe I found HERE and I can highly recommend them.

The 3:30 hour (9 laps @ Oi Futo) went well and it is incredible how much better your body performs when you fuel it right. Last week when I returned home from the long ride I had to lay down on the couch for an hour eating to recover after 2:30 hour in the saddle and this week I could easily have gone for another hour without any issues.

All in all a good week (as long as the calf issues do not get worse) and I look forward to add some more volume next week and do some turbo sessions with the refreshed power zones.

No comments:

Post a Comment