Sunday 5 January 2014

2014

Returning from a nice Christmas vacation on Hawaii I am well rested and hence decided to kick-off the 2014 season with a blog-post (so far the blog has only been race reports :))

Hawaii was great and although most of my planned swims got canceled due to high surf and I did not have a bike and manage to get in some quality training with a couple of long runs and a interval session. I forgot to bring my HR strap and it was actually a nice experience running without it. I think I will try to focus less on HR during the runs going forward and use the data mainly for training analysis.

2014 race schedule

The planned races for 2014 so far are:

Ironman Cairns 70.3 (June 8th)

I want do this race for several reasons. First of all, I want to do a race in Australia while I am in Japan, as there is no way I will go there when I am back in Denmark. Secondly, if I am going to do an Ironman in 2015 the full distance in Cairns (which is on the same day) is a good option and I thought it could be nice to check out the venue first. Thirdly, it is fairly early in the season and it is nice to have something to train for which is not too far away.

Ironman Phillipines 70.3 (August 3rd)

This race is extremely popular  and I was lucky enough to sign up before it sold out (within a day). I think they might hold slots for the 2015 70.3 worlds championships here (which will be in Europe) so it could be worth giving that a shot.

 

 

Ironman 70.3 Worlds Championships - Mont-Tremblant (September 7th)

There is only one reason for doing this race: because I qualified :) Besides the fact that it is the WC and that Mont-Tremblant seems to be a nice place there is really not much good about this race - from a practical point of view at least. It is 5 weeks after the race at the Philippines, I have to go to Europe for work in between the two races, Mont-Tremblant is pretty far from Tokyo etc. etc. The venue does however looks very nice and despite the above I really look forward to going. Especially since both my parents and brother+girlfriend plan to make the trip to see the race.

Photo: Ironman.com

New coach

As I feel I need to push myself a bit more to take my performance to the next level I have decided to hire a coach. It is not that I cannot push myself without a coach, but I want to make sure that it is done the right way minimizing the risk of injuries. Moreover, I have come to realize that it is very convenient having someone doing the training schedule for you. All you have to do is execute :)

We started out right after two weeks of rest after Taiwan and the period from mid-November has been transition period giving my new coach Paul Jones from www.f4lcoaching.com a chance to get to know me (and my body!). Focus as been on slowly getting back in the game while working on increasing my speed on the run. This has meant a lot of intervals which I basically did not do while training forTaiwan 70.3. I still don't like the high intensities, but I am getting more used to it. To make things "worse" the recovery periods between the efforts have been a lot shorter than what I was used to when I was training for marathon.

New year resolution

I plan to try to do a post every now and then (hopefully on a weekly basis) with an update on how my training is progressing. Besides keeping the blog in a more up-to-date state, I hope this will make skipping a workout even harder for me since I then know I will have to share the defeat with you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment