Sunday 19 January 2014

Week 3 (13 Jan - 19 Jan)

Swim: 2:10 (5.900m)

Bike: 7:16 (0:32 as part of a brick session)

Run: 3:02 (0:30 as part of a brick session)

Strength & Core: 1:00

Total: 13:27

TSS (bike/run): 729


Monday

Week 3 started out with a national holiday which is quite convenient one week after the long vacation. I had morning intervals planned and I was still a bit worried about the calf so I extended the warm-up from 10 to 20 minutes. Maria joined me so the most of the warm-up was done at recovery pace.

The main set of the session was 8 x 400m tempo where each tempo effort was followed by 200m where you push the pace and the recovery between the sets was jogging. So continuos running. I definitely prefer this over the hard intervals sessions. I did the set in Yoyogi park which is a great place to run in the morning and it is a good alternative to my local circle at Meiji Jingu. The calf tighten up a bit during the first half, but it slowly went away. Did 30 min strength and core in the evening.

Tuesday

Tuesday morning I did a turbo session consisting of 10 min warm-up followed by a set of short 30 sec all-out intervals. The main set was 2 x 10min at 90%CP30 with 5 min recoveries followed by 4 x 5 min efforts at 100%CP30 with 2min recoveries and some cool down. A great set that definitely left the legs a bit tired (in a good way!).

Wednesday

Wednesday evening I had a swim planned that started out with a lot of kick-drills which I really hate. Especially when I have tired legs and I had to take a lot more breaks than planned to get through it. I even had to do some breast kicks once in a while to not completely cue up the slowest lane in the pool. I did however manage to get in all of the 2.700 planned meters.

Thursday

Thursday started out with a brick session where 6 min hill climbing and 7x30 sec all-out efforts with 90 sec recovery on the turbo laid out the foundation for the run. The run was 10min @10k pace followed by 20min easy jog. No calf issues at all, so the recovery seems to be progressing nicely.

Once again I could definitely feel my legs had been working when I went down the stairs to the subway on my way to work.

Friday

Friday morning called for another turbo session. This time 45min tempo @ 85%CP30 with some warm-up and cool down. About half way through I could feel that my legs had been working a lot this week and started to look forward to next weeks recovery week.

PM I had another swim planned. This time 3.200m mostly intervals of various lengths. I can feel that I am getting better in just accepting the longer swim workouts and I do no longer doubt that I can actually get through them. Although my arms and shoulders a bit tired i the end it was a nice way to end the Friday.

Saturday

Or actually the swim did not end my Friday as I had to attend a meeting with some colleagues from Europe/US from 22:30 Friday evening. So Saturday morning I slept a bit longer than usual. Sunday Maria and I had been invited for brunch by one of my colleagues and hence I decide to do the long weekend ride on Saturday and then take the long run Sunday morning as it would be easier to squeeze in before the brunch.

Biking Saturday also means I have to go somewhere else than Oi Futo which is both good and bad. Oi Futo is convenient as it only takes me 15 minutes to get there, however it is not the most inspiring place in the world. Below you can see a video I shoot some months ago when going there.



On Saturdays I would usually head out to Arakawa River. The flip-side of this is that I have to go through the city which usually takes around 45 min, but I decided to go there anyway. After all the trip through the city can be quite nice when the weather is good and today it was cold, but sunny.

I had a fun experience at one of the first stop lights. I was waiting for the lights to turn green when a runner interrupted my podcast by saying "nice bike!". It turned out that he was the fast guy on a P5 that have been lapping me in Oi Futo the last couple of weekends. We had a short chat about him training for Ironman New Zealand, shook hands and said "See you at Oi Futo" :)

Later on my way through the city I came a cross some sort of mini snow festival. Someone had transported snow into the centre of Tokyo at put of snow figures along the road.







When I came to Arakawa river I just headed north for one and a half hour, turned around and headed back. I felt a bit like Forrest Gump, but I enjoyed the nice weather, all the sports life around Arakawa river, my new homemade energy bars and the Rich Roll podcasts that I had started listing to during these long rides. If you have not yet read Rich Roll's book 'Finding Ultra' I would definitely recommend it. It is a very inspiring story about how he went from being alcoholic to completing 5 Ironman races in 7 days in a very short period of time.

The first thing I met at Arakawa river was some kind of kite-festival...

And as usual you can find food stands around events like this :)




There are many people playing baseball along the river, but it was nice to see that there are also room for soccer


...and then I biked...

And in case you are into it you can continue on the golf course.,,



 I decided just to take the ride easy and as you can see from the pictures above it was a very nice ride. I was out for around 5 hours (riding a little more than 4) and my new winter clothes from  kept me nice and warm :)

Ready to go :)

Sunday

Sunday morning I did my long run and besides a few minutes and tightening up around 10-12k I did not noticed any calf issues. The legs got a bit tired after 15k, but I feel I could still end the run strong.

I did 30 min strength and core in the evening and I am really looking forward to the recovery day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment